Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Thrift Store Treasures

Whenever my sister comes to visit me we always go to thrift stores and see what treasures we can find. There are three different thrift stores in town, one is mainly for nice used furniture, one is St. Vincent de Paul, the other one GCARC (helps handicap individuals earn money and learn skills). The GCARC has drop boxes and a recylcing center and so they have a lot of stuff coming in and high turnover. We go there the most and they are open till six.  The purchases below all came from that thrift store.


After seven years of patiently looking I finally found an American Girl Doll! She has been well- loved as my Aunt Ruth would say (who is an amazingly talented person that lovingly restores vintage dolls). Her one eye doesn't work right and her torso has been ripped and she has some other minor cosmetic damage. I still bought her thinking I could try to fix her somehow. I looked into the American girl doll hospital and it was $44 (torso) & $28 (eye) the doll with one outfit and book retails for $110.00. She cost me fifty cents so I shall try to do it myself with the help of a youtube video hopefully. I was thrilled to find her and the local quilt shop sells reproduction 30's fabric (I think this may be Kit a historical doll from the 1930's) so if I get real ambitious I could try and sew her an outfit.  Several years ago I bought Kit's outdoor chairs at Savers (thrift store) and have been patiently saving them.  The strawberry shortcake and kelly dolls were a quarter each. I had just been thinking I never find any crate and barrel or williams sonoma stuff at the thrift store when I found this cute crate and barrel dish towel with lemons on it that was still brand new ($1.00) .


See the little string of birds hanging a lady hand makes them out of scraps and sells them at the thrift store for ($3.00) I thought it would look so cute in Zany's room. Now I think I need another one for the other side of her closet.


I have for many years wanted to play bridge and have a little group that meets together periodically.  I have been planning that when all my kids are in school I will get this little group together. With that in mind my sister encouraged me to buy this book about bridge. I did so with the commitment that she would be a part of my bridge group. I did promise her bridge mix (those little chocolate covered mysteries) which I love.


Today was crazy sock day for Declan he has very few options for he has no big enough sisters to borrow from. He found his football socks and then added strips of bandanas to his calfs. He even wore mismatched shoes. He had been planning this for a week!


2 comments:

  1. Rhiannon, I'm just randomly peeking through your WONDERFUL blog! You put me to shame!

    But! My comment is this: I TOO LOVE BRIDGE MIX!! And it's not such a "who wouldn't?" kind of thing, because Julie hates it. So, hah!

    I'll say it again: you're amazing! And you have EXCELLENT taste!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe at the next reunion we could enjoy a bridge card game and some bridge mix! Thanks for your kind compliments I enjoy your taste to and decorating style! I love to look around the pictures grandma posts of your darling home!

    ReplyDelete