Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Spring Purge-40 bags in 40 days

I am really a maximalist at heart. It is really in to be a minimalist, but I just like stuff.  I had a hard time towards the end of my mission not having art, books, decorative things. I am a nestor by nature. I have always liked a homey space-candles, pillows,quilts and books especially. Reading several things on online  and attending a women's conference about organization made me want to get rid of all the extra stuff that I don't need or want and then organize what I do want to keep. I could get rid of loads and still have lots of stuff. I read about the 40 bags in 40 days challenge and decided that was what I would do. I started March 11 and as you see below I am doing the large kitchen trash bags. This load of five bags is already taken to the thrift store.  


Eddy and I just cleaned out his closet and now I have four more bags (not all of them came from Eddy's closet) ready for the thrift store.  I can't bare to save it up for a yard sale; soon as I get an area cleaned out and organized and labeled the last thing I want to do is hang on to stuff. So away it goes and I never have to deal with it again. I did the cupboards at the end of my hallway today (linens) as well as Eddy's closet. I lured Eddy into cleaning out his clothes by telling him he could just lay on the bed while I held up clothes for him to say keep or thrift. I am really getting addicted to it, and want to get the whole house sorted.

 I am ignoring my usual cleaning a bit but I am rationalizing that once everything is cleaned out and organized I will do more actual cleaning. I do wipe out the shelves when I am cleaning them out and whatnot but the laundry is really behind.  I keep forgetting to take before pictures so I can to do the after pictures.  One tip I learned was to have the goal to touch everything and decide if you still need this item, love it or not.  Then deal with it accordingly.  Don't worry at the end of the forty days I am sure I will still be a maximalist!


2 comments:

  1. Way to go. Don't you just love Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspired me to do a proper clean out and spring clean. The weather is really lovely this time of year if it is to windy. Spring is such a good time for it!

    ReplyDelete