Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Quilts

I have loved quilts for a long time and began collecting them after I got married. Both of my grandma's gave me a quilt when I got married so that got me started collecting them. I would always check at thrift stores and every couple of years I would get lucky and find one. Once in a great while I would find one at a yard sale. A couple I got from my parents antique store.  The craftsmanship is amazing. I have never made a quilt myself but I have plans of giving it a go one of these days. 

I have a glass fronted cabinet in my family room where I display some of my quilts I rotate them with other quilts I store elsewhere. These are my spring/summer quilts.

I just love the bright colors and patterns.

 My favorite patterns and fabrics come from the 1930's to 1950's. So wasn't I thrilled when I received a package in the mail from my Grandma Agle (my maternal grandmother) and in it was the most lovely little quilt she had made for Zaynzley. Zany was using an old queen size quilt on her bed temporarily until I could find something better. This quilt is perfect for her room.

Zaynzley with her new quilt.

Zany reading a book before naptime.

Look at those tiny perfect stitches, my grandma hand quilted the whole thing, the top is an authentic 1930's quilt top, not a reproduction, that she found at a garage sale. She redid the edging, backed it and bound it. It is a masterpiece of fine quilting!

My grandma also sent a darling scrapbook for Zaynzley telling the story of the quilt.

This photo is my grandma as a little girl. What a doll!

A couple pages from the scrapbook, she put pictures of Zaynzyley throughout it and didn't Zany love to look at this little scrapbook.

Here is the amazingly talented quilter, my grandma! What a treasure!!

5 comments:

  1. That is a treasure for one treasured Zaynzyley (which one day I'll spell correctly).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you did spell it right! Hope your enjoying California!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you mentioned that because I had missed this The quilt looks really nice on her bed. I didn't know you had that many quilts. Impressive. Hope Zaynzley comes to love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure she will and I am letting her use it per grandma's wishes. I would want people to use my quilts if I ever made one (one of these days right?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matches her room beautifully and what a special gift. The quilt and the book.

    ReplyDelete