Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Books and more books!

When I was in college my dream was to have my own personal library in my house. I have always loved books (thanks mom) and went to lots of bookstores both new and used when I was a kid. In fact I still have all the expensive books I bought when I was a kid. I went through a fairy tale phase and bought several giant tomes of fairy tales.
The children's treasure house of stories and the big book of classic fairy stories are two of the books I bought as a kid. I still like fairy tales.

 I really (really, really. really) wanted a dog for many years but sadly my parents wouldn't allow it but I always hoped they would so to decide which breed I wanted I bought Dogs of the World oversize book ($30 back in 1987 which was a lot of money for a kid). I would read all about the different breeds and their traits. I settled upon a golden cocker spaniel as I thought that would be the best fit for my childhood family. The closest I ever got was buying a sandstone figure of my dream dog. I still can identify dog breeds to this day due to my countless hours spent studying this book.


After I was married, I continued to collect books but some I would have to keep in boxes. One day at costco they had the perfect bookshelves I fell in love with them and I bought three. Then I decided I could fit two more so we went back and got two more. I have five lovely bookshelves to fill with all my treasured books.  I turned my formal living room into my library.  I have organized my books in several ways over the years (pre 1950's/ post 1950's, Pretty/not as pretty etc.) Lately I have wanted to redo it and just alphabetize the fiction books, with separate sections for biography, church, non fiction, & cooking. To that end I cleared the living room and put post it notes on the ground then emptied  the bookcases





Every post it had a letter on  it to help keep it organized.


Declan & McCoy were my helpers they were each in charge of a row and also had a race between letter D books and letter M books. Letter M won. I dusted the shelves really well and all the knick knacks.

Declan was a real trooper and stuck with it until we finished and even helped me put them back on the bookshelf; McCoy faded away.

The finished job now organized to my liking. This picture is of fiction books A to Z and biography.
It was a big job but I am glad I can now easily find what I am looking for.

Happy April Fool's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment