Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Project: General Conference Banner

One day as I was thinking about General Conference, I realized it is a holiday that as a Mormon I celebrate twice a year and so shouldn't I have some decorations to celebrate it. So I began to think about things I could make to decorate for it and I thought a banner would be fun. Even funner a banner made of ties since all the male general authorities sport one.  I originally was going to sew letters on the ties spelling out Happy General Conference but I changed my mind since another craft I am going to do will say that.  I bought the ties at the thrift store bag sale (you fill a kitchen trash bag with whatever you want and it is ten bucks--what a bargain! It made the ties free since I was getting other things anyway). You could easily get them anywhere really since ties are abundant and stained ones work too since you cut out the middle section.

Pile of my ties for project

I decided the length of the ties and cut the fattest and skinniest parts of the tie. I cut them all the same length. 

I purchased some (black) double quilt bias tape ($2.74 at Wal-mart) in black and arranged and pinned my ties putting them right next to each other.

I wanted fifteen ties to represent the twelve apostles and the three members of the first presidency.

I put five little tie ends on either side and sewed a loop out of the bias tape to hook onto a cuphook.

It took me two years from idea to execution but I am glad I finally did it. It was incredibly easy and took all of an hour. The longest part was deciding what tie to put where, taking pattern and color into consideration. 
I am really looking forward to General Conference especially in our new family room addition we have a lot more room for everyone and it is much more cozy.  The kids look forward to it to since I let them all pick one treat to share with everyone. They could pick whatever they wanted.

Eddy-Starburst
Rhiannon-Cheez its
Quinton-bugles
Declan-Pringles
McCoy-Caramel Apples
Archer-White Cookies (maybe those are sugar cookies?)
Zaynzley-fruit snacks

The kids also love taking notes and coloring our conference train!

Happy General Conference!

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea. Fun. I think that is the first real picture I've seen of the new family room. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete