Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Saturday, August 16, 2014

My Realistic Dream Trip

Ashlee and I love a good look through other people's cast offs and unwanteds especially if they are vintage or collectible.  I have long wanted to have a trip to the big city and just go from one thrift store to another all day long.  Our paydays coincided and we planned a trip. After our two hour car ride we stopped at a gas station at the edge of town where Ashlee found some sriracha whoopee pies and thought it would be fun to try them. Our mom was always up for trying new and strange things so that is where we get it from. Unfortunately, they were terrible.

Our first stop was a church rummage sale. My best find there was six toy lightsabers I even found the elusive purple light saber that later caused a bit of a fight over who got it between Quinton and Declan.  There are a lot of thrift stores on one street in Tucson (Speedway) we spent the next six hours going from one thrift to another and we even squeezed in a big antique store. To some (like Eddy) that sounds like torture but it was a blast! We found all kinds of treasures and trinkets.

Ashlee with nasty, fun food

Vintage car in one thrift store parking lot

The last time we were in Tucson Pa saw a hat he wanted at Savers it was a hat like they wore in Bonanza (old western TV show) but it was a hundred dollars so he didn't get it. When he heard we were going back to Tucson he wanted us to see if it was cheaper and get it. As luck would have it, it was still there and with our coupon we got it for only forty buckaroos. Last time I was in Tucson, I saw a Elna sewing machine at a thrift store but I didn't buy it thinking why did I need another sewing machine ("Ha," Eddy says, this was before my sewing machine obsession) and I was hoping to get it on this trip but my luck was out and it wasn't there.   

Ashlee with Pa's Bonanza hat

Three of my favorite finds from our thrift store marathon were:  (1) 1950 Montgomery Wards Supreme Reversible Rotary Sewing Machine in a cabinet with instruction manual, a box of accessories with all kinds of feet, oil can and extra bobbins. It was only twenty bucks! It has what was all the rage at the time which is a knee control. It didn't have the cord to plug it in though but handy Eddy is going to fix that for me. (2) Back when I first got into vintage kitchen stuff about ten years ago I often saw Kleanser Kate on Ebay and I wanted her but never bought her, well I found her at a Antique store for eight bucks. Woohoo!
 I use Bar Keepers Friend to scour my sink and porcelain pots and I put it in her and now I can have it sitting out and handy since it looks cute now.   (3) Vintage kewpie like fellow in a framed picture that tells of the misadventure of a little boy.

Cabinet is stamped underneath "18 Aug 1950", Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine with all the goodies

This model is commonly known as the streamliner (due to its art deco like locomotive look) the finish is called "Godzilla" by collectors

In the cabinet is this cubby to hold the accessory box, instructions, oil and what not

Who doesn't want to scour a sink with Kleanser Kate's help?

Under each picture is: Smelling, Seeing, Tasting, Hearing, Feeling

This darling was only ten dollars it makes me smile to look at it any one of my boys could easily be in the same predicament.  That pie was probably meant for a party so no wonder his momma gave him a pow-pow (as we call a spanking around here).

It was whirlwind of a day and we got home after midnight but it was oh so fun!


1 comment: