Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Pa's Endurance is Tested

Every couple of years we (Ashlee and I and this time Quinton as well) tag along with Pa to Tucson for his eye check up. Pa would prefer to drive the three hours there have his appointment and immediately drive home.  Since we accompany him and we love to shop he ends up going places he would never go like thrift stores and the mall.  Poor Pa.  He is threatening in two years when his appointment comes up to go once again by himself.  What did Poor Pa endure?

We began our trip uneventfully but awfully early and so we stopped in Willcox, Az at a trucker's gas station that has all kind of things you would never see in a gas station like two glass curio cabinets with crystal animals and other knick knacks. I rarely go into gas stations and never trucker kind so I like to look about a bit much to the annoyance of Ashlee.

Rhiannon and Ashlee in front of glass cabinet at trucker gas station
(Sometimes I do appear in my own blog)

Continuing on our way we arrived at Tucson and dropped Pa off at his appointment and Ashlee, Quinton and I went for a shop at Target and then Ross. Pa's appointment took forever which really put his nose at out of joint since he relishes eating at his favorite restaurant Claim Jumper and he missed lunch entirely. By the time he was done and we got to the restaurant it was three o'clock. We were famished and Pa finally got to order his favorite restaurant meal: Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes. Quinton had steak tips and mashed potatoes with roasted vegetables, Ashlee had a vegetarian calzone (she has been a vegetarian since college) and I had the Widowmaker Burger. I am not a burger kind of gal but it just sounded really good the bacon, onion ring and avocado on it may have convinced me.  It was the best burger I have ever had!

Quinton and Quinton (Pa) enjoying lunch at last

After lunch we all went to Savers (thrift store) then the two Quints went to the movies to watch Planet of the Apes in 3D. Meanwhile Ashlee and I tried to go to as many thrift stores as we could before their movie was over. We would have loved to go to more but before we knew it, it was time to get the two Quints. By now it was eight o'clock and the other stores we wanted to go to were closed (we can never get to all the stores we want too, sadly). We stopped by Five Guys to pick up a hamburger for Eddy (who stayed home with the other kids). Then we made our journey back home.  Too late for Pa's liking.


Ashlee's best find at the thrift stores we went to were these pewter like mugs and they were a real bargain at seventy cents each!  She is planning on having a theme party with them possibly Viking or Hobbit, not sure yet but you may be seeing them again on this blog.

Lovely metal mug

Ashlee got seven of them

I am currently obsessed with sewing and sewing notions and what nots. I have been working making a sewing room in my laundry room since that is the only possible place for it.  I have been gathering and organizing all my fabric and notions and of course decorating it. While I am a complete novice at sewing, I did have a part time job in college (Eastern Arizona College) for two years cutting out patterns for all the costumes. I am hoping to try my hand at sewing clothes, quilting and so on.  At the thrift stores now I always look for sewing stuff especially buttons. I had been thinking about buying a pair of proper embroidery scissors (I saw some at Walmart for fifteen dollars) when what did I find in a baggie of sewing stuff at Savers? Embroidery scissors. In the bag were also a leather/metal thimble, leather finger thimble, plastic thimble, sequins, mending kit with mirror, vintage needle book, thread, and a 24 karat gold plated needle. The gold needle according to the package is a real pleasure to sew with due to the gold. There is a note on the back of the card telling a Karen that she might enjoy the needle. It has been through a few owners without ever being used maybe I will break that streak and find out if a gold needle is really a better needle. If it is where will I ever find another?  Well I do know a guy going to Tucson again in a couple years maybe I will stow away! Shhh, don't tell Pa.

All mine for mere $1.40, yes, only a dollar and forty cents-- I just love a bargain!



No comments:

Post a Comment