Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Greenie Dinner

When I was a missionary for the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Michigan Lansing Mission) eons ago, it was typical to sometime in your first area get a greenie dinner in celebration of your new missionary status. Members would invite the missionaries to diner and all the food would be green and often green Jell-O was served. Eddy had the same tradition in his mission (Washington Seattle Mission). It was a lot of fun and we both remember having green mashed potatoes too. 

This last sunday Elder C. spoke at church and mentioned this was his first area. Eddy and I both looked at each other and said, "Greenie Dinner." We signed up to feed the missionaries. We had a green tablecloth and napkins and we ate: Green Chicken Enchiladas, Cilantro Lime Rice, Refried Beans, Green Beans, Green Salad and for desert Lime Sherbet or Pistachio Almond ice cream. Once all the food was on the table I asked if the missionaries noticed anything. They asked if I had painted or cut Quinton's hair. "No," I replied, "It's a greenie dinner!" They didn't know what that was. I was surprised I guess no one does greenie dinners anymore. The Elders thought it was pretty cool and Elder C. took a picture. I was so busy with dinner preparations I didn't even get a photo until dessert.


Greenie Dinner with Elder G. and Elder C. 



No comments:

Post a Comment