Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Recipe: Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll with Salted Caramel Sauce

If a pumpkin pie and a cinnamon roll had a baby and you soaked that baby in a salted caramel sauce it would be these luscious tasties.    While I was on my mission in Michigan, one preparation day we went with a friend learning about our church to an outdoor antique fair  (Montague/Whitehall area where I spent half of my eighteen month mission).  I am just going to say there are way better prices and selection of antiques back east (to an Arizonian Michigan is way east  and not the midwest).  I was browsing a booth when I saw an old battered, stained notebook. As I flipped through it, I saw a lifetime of newspaper clipped recipes.  There were also some handwritten recipes in lovely fountain pen script shared by this previous owners friends and family.  It was a well used much loved recipe collection that ranged from the 1930's to the 1950's.  This lost family treasure was mine for four dollars-bargain.

Since seeing this fine specimen of recipe collecting, I have always been interested in clipping my own promising recipes (still old school but I do do pinterest too). So when I saw a recipe (see below) in the newspaper I knew I had to try it.  I made quite a few changes so it would work with my Zojirushi bread machine which by the way I love this bread machine and use it many times a week to make all our bread products.  Arizona is not like Utah, which has some really lovely bread in the supermarkets, being a Mormon born and raised I love whole wheat flour and bread and use whole wheat flour all the time.  I smuggle it in all kinds of breads and rolls with my family never knowing.  Not the prettiest shaped rolls but the next time I made them they were much prettier, of course, I don't have pictures of that.

Rolls with pumpkin filling


Pouring salted caramel sauce on it

Just waiting for a willing volunteer to taste test it

Eddy gives his sign of approval (Sundevil sign for ASU)

Archy has a little more trepidation 

He approves and ate two

Recipe for Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll with Salted Caramel Sauce

For the dough:
3 Tablespoons granulated suger
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/2 stick of butter
4 cups of all purpose flour ( I use half white whole wheat and half AP flour to be healthier but it is much lighter and fluffier with all AP flour)
1 Tablespoon instant yeast
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

Put all ingredients for the dough in the bread machine in the order listed and set it to dough setting.

For the filling:
4 ounces of cream cheese, room temp
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg
2 Tablespoons Molasses
1/2 dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground dry ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice

Once dough is finished mix all the fixing ingredients with a beater until smooth.  Roll dough out into a 12 by 24 inch rectangle, pour filling over it smoothing it out evenly. Here is the trickiest part roll it up from long side to long side and then pinch the dough where the two layers meet so it says rolled up. Take a eighteen inch length of dental floss and cut it every inch or so. It will be gloppy but transfer to a baking pan of your choice and plop any filling that falls out on top of rolls. Space rolls about an inch apart and let raise for twenty minutes (always raise things in my oven on warm unless it is the summer then I just leave the oven light on).  Turn on heat to oven to 350 and bake until you smell their heavenly scent or 20 minutes and lightly golden brown. Let it rest for 10 minutes and if you want to gild the lily make the salted caramel sauce while the rolls cool.  Pour sauce over top of rolls being careful to not overflow the pan,

For the glaze:
3 Tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy or light cream
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon flake salt or 1/4 teaspoon kosher

In a medium saucepan over med -high heat combine butter, sugar, cream, and cinnamon swirling the pan, not stirring until it is thickened or five minutes. Stir in vanilla and salt. Drizzle over rolls and if you have good will power wait ten minutes before digging in!  It's like a dose of fall in your mouth so lovely. Thank you blog for serving as my customized recipe repository and I don't have to worry about my favorite family recipes being lost!  I still will hang on the original and put it in my own stained, tattered notebook because you never know when your internet goes down but I am sure this notebook will be a much fought over family heirloom!

No comments:

Post a Comment