Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Hal Empie: Duncan Artist

Hal Empie is probably the most famous person I know of that lived in Duncan. He was a man of many talents, a cartoonist, pharmacist and artist. He owned a drug store/art gallery for about 50 years until he had one flood to many and left in 1986.  Going to High School in Duncan we had the privilege to eat under a giant mural of his everyday in the cafeteria, entitled Greenlee. It was first hung in 1954 and this summer it went under a restoration, by the town to bring back its former glory.  Nona and I decided to go to the re-dedication, as it had been years since I have seen it. It tells the story of the County from left to right. on the left it begins with Native Americans, then continues on.
In the center are the three main industries that led to the settling of the area: Ranching, Farming and Mining.
It is right over where the lunch workers serve the food.

The right Side

The left side

Here are the models of the childern petting the cat. The woman is his daughther, Ann.

What is a reception without cake>

In addition the Duncan Methodist Church opened their  doors so people could view the two Empies of Christ.

These are from 1950. He painted them after the previous Methodist church burnt down. 


Of course. Like my dear Sister, we love a gift shop. I got this print of one of his paintings for only $10. (here I am standing in front of yet another unfinished project I am working on. And you can see Pa's  working on the Victorola to my right)

Also at the library are three Great Empies, that I see while at work.

This one is my favorite, probably due to all of the Pop warner games I attend.

If you are in Duncan you can see all of these for free!

No comments:

Post a Comment