Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

McCoy's Baptism

I feel like just had this blond little cherub of a baby how can McCoy possibly be old enough to be baptized? (It is a major milestone in the LDS church that happens when a child turns eight years old.) I know it is cliche to say it just flew by but it did. I am so happy he chose to be baptized.  McCoy, the logical stoic, was quietly excited to be getting baptized by his dad and if you looked closely you could see him often smiling to himself.

 We shared the baptism with another family who was in our ward and had one daughter who was getting baptized too. In a way it was nice because I was only responsible for half of the program but we were totally out numbered by the other family. It is strange because I come from really large extended families my mom's has six siblings and my dad has eight siblings but my parents just had two kids. Eddy is a convert to the LDS faith so he doesn't have anyone from his side of the family to attend these kind of things.  Anyhow,we had four family members who attended: Pa, Nona, Ashlee, and Grandma Parke. The other family had about forty in attendance.  I used to worry a bit that my kids will be disappointed to have so few supporters at things but they haven't really minded or said anything. One day when all my kids are grown, they will hopefully live close enough that they can attend each other's special days.  So while few in number we were strong in spirit.

McCoy, center, with his family before his baptism

For our part of the program Quinton Carlton gave the opening prayer, 
Quinton Germaine gave a nice testimony and Nona played the piano.

Nona the amazing primary pianist
 (altogether she has served as primary pianist for 28 years, wow, that is a lot piano playing)

 Grandma Parke gave McCoy a little black leather hymnbook with his name embossed on it which he happily took to church the next day and sang out of it.

Special present from Great-Grandma Parke


Some of our special attendees (left to right): Eddy, Grandma Parke, Ashlee with McCoy, 
Rhiannon holding Zany, Pa & Nona not pictured Quinton, Declan, and Archy (wandering the church I suppose)

Dressed all in white, McCoy and Eddy

McCoy's thoughts about his baptism in his own words:  
It was fun. I got to get baptized.  I got to see my family.  I felt happy when I was baptized.  The water was cold. CTR can stand for a lot things like choose the right, choose to remember, christ the redeemer.  When I received the Holy Ghost I felt good and happy.  I always want to remember that I got baptized and got the Gift of the Holy Ghost

 It was a really nice baptism and as a mother I always feel a bit tender when I see one of my children baptized and in my mind I think McCoy-Baptism-Check. Now to just get them safely shepherded through all the other spiritual milestones and see them into happy productive adulthood. Whoosh! It will be here before I know it and I have a feeling it will fly by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment