Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Friday, January 16, 2015

Pa and Lord of the Rings inspired Gauntlets

My favorite movies ever are the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I have always loved the books as well and have read them countless times. Though I can't speak elvish.  I have always wanted to dress up as Eowyn but have only got as far as buying a pattern.  (Maybe 9 years ago- sometimes mind projects take a long time to become actual projects). Every once in awhile I re visit my plans and look how people made it. Trouble is I want to complete the project that is currently above my skill set. One day while browsing the wonderful thing that is google images, I saw some LOTR leather gauntlets. I offhandedly said to my Pa "Pa don't you want to make some super awesome cosplay Lord of the rings gauntlets?" And he being the talented fellow that he is decided to whip up a pair. They are really big. In amongst his crafting of this he has also completed at least 5 pairs of spur straps and is working on some cowboy bracers. Oh to be so talented.
Here is the inspiration for his Gondorian gantlet. This is a photo I found the exhibit they had of the Lord of the rings costumes. 

He whips a pattern, out of his mind.

Cuts them out of leather.  He made them Pa size so it took about half a hide of leather. 

both pieces

Stamped out, but not textured or dyed

Sewing them together

Should he embossed the tree White, Silver or leave as is?

A fellow comrade in arms. Hopefully Pa will get to sport these at the AZ ren Fest

3 comments:

  1. I think the tree should be silver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually that was quintons choice above, isn't it the white tree of gondor so i think it should be white!

    ReplyDelete