Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve was a whirlwind of work and last minute preparations for Christmas.  I don't think I sat down once all day until 9pm.  Eddy growing up always had tamales at Christmas time.  Eddy and I have talked about making tamales ourselves for fifteen years. This year Eddy decided he was bound and determined to make them this year.  He bought all his ingredients and made both green chile cheese and red meat tamales.  Eddy made them on Christmas Eve and Quinton helped him make ties to tie the tamales.  Eddy's mom always puts a green olive in her meat tamale and I really like it so I asked Eddy to do the same.  The tamales turned out really well. I think we have established a new Christmas tradition of tamale making but maybe not on Christmas Eve that day is too busy.

Quinton prepping the ties and Eddy making tamales

Nice little bundle

I am a bit conflicted on Christmas Eve because I want it to be a nice meal but I don't want to be in the kitchen cooking and cleaning all night.  This year I realized I should cut out some dish doing by eating on paper products which seemed so wrong to me.  I would prefer to eat on nice china but since I don't have any maidservants to wash all the dishes I decided to compromise and use nice paper christmas plates but still have goblets.  We always have a Mexican Feast on Christmas Eve with Green Chicken Enchiladas, Red Cheese Enchildas, Tamales Red & Green, Red Rice, Refried Beans, Taquitos, Chips, Guacamole, Salsa and Salad. 

Pre-feast of Mexican food

After dinner, the kids all open a Christmas present of pajamas then immediately go put them on.  Once everyone is wearing new pajamas we gather for a reading by Eddy of the classic poem "T'was the Night Before Christmas" and Pa reads the story of the first Nativity out of Luke 2 in the bible.  Then we all enjoyed eggnog and cookies, of course, leaving a plate for Santa Claus.  

Archy (in winged Spiderman sleeper) and Zany in Christmas Pajamas

Before we knew it, it was time to tuck all the kids into to bed to await arrival of Santa and Christmas  morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment