Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Very Vintage Christmas

 It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around the Carlton house.  I thought I would show what our Christmas decorations look like this year.  I have loved and collected vintage christmas decorations for years. They are getting harder and harder to find.  I love the shiny brite glass ornaments from the 1950's, the funny plastic ornaments of the 1960's, and even the funky 70's ornaments find a place on my tree.  Of course, I have to make room for my childhood era, 1980's, ornaments too.  I like to gather all kinds of cast off Christmas decorations from yard sales and thrift stores.  I clear off the top of my bookshelves to put up my Christmas decorations and I place them here and there on the shelves as well. 

Living room tree


My favorite kind of Nativities are the kind where Mary can hold baby Jesus. I know that when I have a new baby I can hardly put my sweet baby down and I think Mary would have been the same.

My wee collection of angels

Forest snow scene, I still need to paint a backdrop for it


More angels

One of my favorites is collecting various Santas


Family Room Tree in traditional colors with a tartan flair
The kids get to decorate this tree to their hearts content.

When Eddy and I were first married, we went into a store that sold Department 56 Christmas villages. One of my favorite Christmas tales is A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens so I picked the Dickens Village Collection. We decided that we would get one village piece a year for our anniversary (which is in December) to gradually grow our Christmas village.  Well, then I quite working to be a stay at home mom and with kids and one income we couldn't afford to add to our collection.  Ashlee stepped in and decided to give us a village piece for Christmas every year.  Sadly, one year a unscrupulous ebay seller conned her out of her money and never sent the village. 

Stockings hung by the fire with care

Dickens village

More Dickens village


 Another village I collect is a toy village by Fisher Price.   I put it on the piano so the kids can stand on the piano bench and play with it.  I also have the Nativity they can play with too.  Unfortunately, Fisher Price redesigned the people and made them skinny which I don't like.  If I mix in the skinny style people it might may the chubby ones feel bad and weight watchers may become popular amongst the chubbier Fisher Price toys.  
Fisher Price Christmas toys


This year I decided to decorate the bathroom just a bit

Now that we are all decorated we just need to tidy up a bit and we will be ready for a visit from old St. Nick!

No comments:

Post a Comment