Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Gingerbread Babies at Last

Everyday at nap-time, Zaynzley and I read "Gingerbread Baby" by Jan Brett.  I like it because it has snow, cabins, and Norwegian inspired illustrations (my Grandpa Agle was 1/2 Norwegian so it's in our blood) and Zany likes it because it has lots of farm animals.  I really wanted to make gingerbread men this year and decorate them with the kids.  I have meant to make gingerbread men the last several years but we actually did it this year!  The dough was really easy to make and roll out (recipe).  I liked the thicker cookies we made; they were soft and chewy and just the right amount of spice.  I just threw things on the table out of the cupboard and the kids happily decorated with them.  Nothing pinterest worthy here but they had fun.  I think it will be added to our Christmas time traditions.
My favorite kids book right now

Zany goes with pink sprinkles

Archy wanted his gingerbread guy to have lots of swords. 
Guess how many he drew on?

Four, all those lines on the arms and legs are swords.  
You never know when you will run into a hungry fox and need to defend yourself.

Quinton's masterpiece

McCoy really enjoyed decorating them 
but he was the only one who didn't like to eat them

McCoy faux bite

Zany decorating after everyone else left,
 dumped the entire jar of chocolate sprinkles and pink sugar on the cookie
 well, at least it was on the plate.

Quinton played us a Christmas song and we called it Family Home Evening

The recipe made quite a few Gingerbread men so if you want to catch one, 
I know where you can go to get one! 


No comments:

Post a Comment