Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Tardis has Landed!

Image result for tARDIS IMAGE
Having been introduced to Dr. Who by Ashlee, our family began watching when Matt Smith was the doctor.  We really enjoyed watching as a family although some episodes were just too scary for Declan (weeping angels anyone?) and he would bow out from time to time.  I thought it would be fun to make a tardis someday.  Well, that day has arrived.  I have wanted a cupboard to keep all the backpacks and jackets out of sight.  At a yard sale I came across a tall bookcase when I inquired as to the price I knew I had to buy it even though I no idea where to put it at the time.

Ethan Allen Bookcase only ten dollars

This bookcase fit in right where I needed it to fit and it was destined to become a backpack cupboard.  I began trying to think what color to paint it.  When I found some old paint that was just the blue that reminded me of a tardis I decided then and there, a tardis it would be.

I, at a prior time, picked up a bunch of cabinet doors and I had two that would fit this perfectly.  Eddy attached them and then he painted the first coat. I painted the next coat and then I decided to have Eddy cut squares to adorn the cupboard doors.  I used chalk paint (plaster of paris) which hardend before I could finish painting and I learned the life lesson to not mix more chalk paint than you can use in a day.  I had no idea what the orginal paint color was as the label had faded.  The paint worker thought a certain color was the best match. Turned out it wasn't so I had to repaint the whole cupboard again.  This began to feel like the project that would never end.  I had to re distress it.  I, of course, took no pictures of the process I am terrible at that.  
So I present the Carlton Tardis . . .

Declan about to put away his backpack

Dr.Who has arrived from another place and time?
Archer, "Suprise"

We added a back on it and we just used some leftover beadboard and spray painted it copper.  You know it is a copper box (a police box).



I ordered a vintage style Dalek poster on Amazon and then cut it in half and wallpaper pasted it on the inside of the doors.  The Police Box is vinyl lettering, and the light on top of the tardis is a solar light.  Sign on front door printed on parchement paper and wall paper pasted on to it.

I rubbed some gel stain on poster to age it a bit

All done at last, 
our three bosom friends keep a close eye on the tardis and its coming and goings for me 

The bosom friends above the door are actually bossons made in england back in the day and painted the same shade as the wall color

At night, the tardis light comes on and casts a friendly glow


Cost
Bookshelf            $10
Knobs and Pulls    $14 
Solar light          $5
Poster                    $7.99
                             Paint    $12  
                                       Total   $49.00   

Everything else used I already had on hand        

Luckily a tardis is bigger on the inside so no telling what all I can stuff inside!


1 comment:

  1. You have outdone yourself. This project is A M A Z I N G !!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete