Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Merry Christmas to Me!

 For years now, I have wanted a cabin in the woods to call my own (unrealistic dream at this time). [Lots of the old established families around here have cabins on Mt. Graham (10,000 foot mountain) but they don't own the land as it is leased from the government so no banks will loan the money for a cabin purchase, you have to have cash in hand to buy one and they aren't to cheap.] I just love the coziness of a cabin and decided that one of my favorite things about a cabin, a fire in a wood stove, could someday be mine.   I had no where in my house to put a wood stove but then we turned our former single car garage into a family room and suddenly I had a possible location.  

The next issue to be decided wood stove or pellet stove?  I did lots of research and even watched youtube thinking at the time I can't believe people make videos about this (fire burning in a pellet stove) and what's more I am watching this video fascinated by it.  I like the authenticness of a wood stove and I am a romantic soul, so the idea of going into the wild and harvesting wood was greatly appealing to me.  Once you have your wood stove, there are no motors, it can last a lifetime unlike pellet stoves with their three motors and control board.  Wood stoves are silent unlike noisy pellet stoves and nowadays wood stoves have large glass like windows so you can watch the fire (another favorite pastime).  I decided that a wood stove was the right fit for me (although you can even buy eco-bricks [Tractor Supply Company] that are wood byproducts pressed into a brick shape much like pellets that you can burn just like logs except they last 2 1/2 times longer, if you would like that convenience).

Eddy was not a fan of the wood stove idea but I gradually wore him down and I think more as a way to shut me up he finally agreed to it.  After many wishful visits to Tractor Supply Company, I finally got to go and chose my own little wood stove and bring it home.  Eddy the handyman took it from there and was able to install it in a weekend.  As with most home improvement projects there were many problems to solve and difficulties to overcome.  Eddy preserverved and before I knew it I was sitting in front of my own little cozy fire.  What a lovely ambiance it brings to a room!  I roasted myself into a stupor and loved every minute of it (it may have been eighty degrees outside but I really wanted to try it out).

Countless hours spent at home depot selecting things for projects: here we are selecting tile for under the wood stove that we didn't end up having to do (thank goodness) and ended up returning all these supplies.

Eddy (flashing the sundevil sign as they were beating Notre Dame quite nicely) cut out a hole in our ceiling for the wood stove ductwork.  That is true love I tell you, to give up watching part of your favorite team to be in a tiny attic only four feet tall with only rafters to kneel on.  Thankfully no feet came through the drywall.

Eddy did the majority of the work while I was gone, so I don't have any more photos of the process to share.  

At last, Eddy lights the first fire

Archy had been excitedly waiting for days to have the wood stove installed.

This is how he spent the first hour of the wood stove's life sitting in front of it, watching it.

Now, the only trouble is I live in Arizona and it isn't quite cold enough for wood stove use, yet.  Our days get into the eighties, too hot by half!   The children and I have commenced praying for colder weather because like me they love a good fire to watch and warm oneself by.  Dare I say, we may even be praying for a little snow this winter which would be a miracle as it only snows once every thirty years or so. Even though this wood stove consumed all my presents for my birthday, Christmas, Valentines, St. Patricks, Easter, and Fourth of July I couldn't be happier to have it at long last.  Now if we could just get out of the eighties and maybe have a sixty degree day you'll find me thankfully enjoying a small fire and probably folding laundry.  Bring on the cold weather, I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment