Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Monday, February 10, 2014

The Oatmeal Wars



Now that we officially have a teenager in the house the oatmeal war has escalated. Twice a week I make overnight oatmeal in the crock pot. It is steel cut oats, salt, and water at a 3:1 ratio I just put all in before I go to bed put the crock pot on warm and in the morning it is perfectly cooked ready to eat. We typically eat it with brown sugar, whatever berries are in season and a drop or two of cream. Even my husband who hates traditional oatmeal likes it.  Quinton thinks he doesn't have eat it and tries to skip breakfast or leave early for school whenever we are having it. Today I put my foot down and told him he had to eat it or he would have it for dinner. He ate the blackberries out but not much else I spent my breakfast arguing with him about it. He stalled long enough that he had to leave to catch his ride to school. Oatmeal uneaten. I told him I would make brownies or cookies maybe both and he can't have any until he finishes his oatmeal. I will make something he loves just to get him to eat it. It is waiting for him in the fridge. It's a cold war.



Recipe for Overnight Crock pot Oatmeal

1 1/2 cups steel cut oats
1tsp. Salt
4 1/2 c. Water

Using a small crock pot (1quart size), put all ingredients in the crock give it a stir. Put on lid and set knob to warm. Let cook 7 or so hours, it is really flexible can cook longer if needed. Serves 4 plus a surly teenager. Garnish with berries, cream, and sweeter of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment