Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Vintage Quilt Rescues

 I have loved quilts for a long time and have been collecting them for a couple decades.  Both of my grandmas were excellent quilters!  They both gave me lovely quilts for my wedding.  I am especially fond of quilts from the 1930s to 1950s.  I haven't quilted much myself but have plans of doing so someday and so I have been collecting a fabric stash in preparation for that.  I love fabrics too!

I like to find quilts at thrift stores and yard sales. Antique stores always have nice quilts but they are WAY out of my price range. I really admire quilts that are hand quilted! I'm always tickled when I find one that has been hand quilted.  I always think who would ever get rid of this quilt?!!

Recently, I have had some luck finding quilts at thrift stores.  At the time I wasn't even looking for quilts and even debated whether or not to buy them thinking about where would I put them and so on.  But the hand quilting wooed me and I bought them.

This quilt (above), I found at a Goodwill Thrift store it was totally filthy and had a nasty large stain (that I lightened considerably) but it was only $6.00 dollars so I thought I would do my best to clean it.  This quilt was very sturdy and had no tears so I began by putting it in the bathtub and rinsing it with the strongest setting in my removable shower head.  I blasted it then put some shampoo on it for good measure.  Then I soaked the quilt in the bathtub in biz.  I changed the water twice.  Then I washed it twice in the washing machine. It was like a whole different quilt by the time I was done with it.  


Large quilt held by Declan and Quinton

This quilt (below) was mint and is huge king or queen size. I found it at the same Goodwill as the one above and it was $20.00.  It had never been washed and probably was a wedding quilt for some couple.  It is embroidered and quite lovely.  I was worried about the red bleeding and so I washed it with 4 color catching sheets.

McCoy holding red and blue quilt

 This quilt has amazing hand quilting and seemed little used if at all.  It is hard to see from the pictures but it is also embroidered in pale blue.  It too is a large quilt.  This quilt was $10.00.  Such a bargain!


McCoy and Zany hold this quilt

It is so fun to find a bargain at the thrift but when it is a quilt it is thrilling.  I sometimes feel that I am a quilt rescuer. Abandoned and unloved quilts are taken in and clean and sometimes simple repairs are made.  Now if I can just get Quinton to build the quilt cupboard of my dreams I can have somewhere to display more of my treasured quilts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment