Rhiannon and Ashlee are two sisters with very similar tastes and interests yet very different lives. They share this blog. Rhiannon is married with five children in a small town in Arizona. Ashlee is single with a darling pug who lives in a smaller town also in Arizona when she isn't traveling the world. Come see what we are up to!

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

A Horrific Tail (not for the squeamish)

Now that Eddy is a principal he can come home for lunch once in awhile which is something he never could do as a teacher.  (Such a fun mid-week date!)  We had some leftover pizza hut pizza and I was heating it up in the oven so it would be nice and toasty for when Eddy arrived home for lunch.  About the time I was expecting him to arrive, he called to say something had come up at school and he would be a half hour late.  I then turned off the oven to keep the pizza warm till he got home.  About forty minutes passed and Eddy called to say he say wouldn't be able to make it all.  Zaynzley and I sadly decided to eat some pizza without him.

Just about then Archy got home from school and saw Zany eating pizza and wanted some.  I reached in the oven to get him a piece and I saw a MOUSE running around in my oven!  I screamed and slammed the oven door shut.   I immediately called Eddy and told him what happened and asked what I should do?  He recommended turning the oven on, which is gas, and cranking it up to 500 degrees.  I said I would but demanded that he come home immediately.  A mouse in the oven isn't something a girl wants to face alone.  I disturbingly wondered what the smell of roasting mouse would be like? Maybe the smell of the leftover burning pizza would hide any other odors. Then my thoughts turned to the fact that the pizza Zany and I just consumed was recently in the company of a mouse.  That darn asiago pizza hut crust was just to much for a mouse resist.

As I waited for Eddy to get home, I watched the oven temperature slowly rise.  If only I had cleaned my oven door so I could see into my oven better and see what was happening but it was to dark to make out any activity.  We gave the oven a good ten minutes at 500 degrees.  We then trepidatiously opened the oven door to see black pizza but no mouse.  Eddy then decided to pull the oven out from the wall.  Out came the mouse alive and well and it ran across the kitchen accompanied by screams (Eddy's or mine who's to say) and went under the dishwasher.  I decided the best thing to do was borrow a Red Ryder BB gun from a friend and shoot the mouse when he came out.  Eddy set up a sniper nest, and lay in wait for the mouse.

Zany joins Eddy in the sniper nest

I went to walmart to buy mouse traps of all kinds and to buy what I imagine hunters would eat while lying in wait for their prey, jerky and a vanilla pepsi.  I delivered the soda and jerky to Eddy and he continued to watch for the mouse.  At one point the mouse began to come out and Eddy shot but the mouse went back under the dishwasher.  We put out the glue traps and Quinton joined Eddy on stakeout with another BB rifle.  They waited for over an hour and no mouse.  I decided the best thing to do was turn out lights and have all the kids go to bed and have the house quiet.  We put barricades to keep the mouse in the kitchen.  About five minutes after the house was quiet I went back to kitchen and I saw the mouse on the glue trap. I called for Eddy.  

Just then Declan and McCoy were on their way to the bathroom and get a drink and got to see what happened next.  I yelled for Eddy to shot the mouse, meanwhile the mouse was struggling desperately to get off the glue trap.  Soon only the mouse's tail was caught on the trap and Eddy fired several shots from close range.  We were afraid the mouse was going to get his tail off the trap so Eddy grabbed some pliers and got hold of the mouse's tail.  Eddy then began bludgeoning the mouse with the rifle.  After ten good whacks it was all over!  

Barricade with Zany and Eddy still on Sniper duty. 
She actually feel asleep next to Eddy on sniper duty.
(Walmart bag with more kinds of mouse traps.)


Whack-A-Mouse
Who knew all that time Eddy spent at Chuck E Cheese 
playing Whack-A-Mole would one day pay off!

Eat what you kill, right?

All in all Eddy spent 5 hours lying on the floor waiting for a mouse, and it was his first hunt and first kill.  I don't think I will mount that trophy though!  If you asked me what true love was when I was youngster I would have pointed to fairytales and said Happily Ever After, of course.  Now that I am older my answer would be different.  True Love is to be willing to lie on a cold floor for hours because you know your wife will freak if she has to go to bed knowing there is a mouse roaming the house. 

My Hero the Mighty Mouse Slayer!  
Thanks for my Happily (Mouse Free) Ever After!



1 comment:

  1. It should be mentioned that my buddy Scott was the provider of the red Ryder 4.5mm air powered rifle and I did not shoot out my eye
    Eddy

    P. S. Thanks a bunch Scotty-Jack

    ReplyDelete